This week’s crafty project: make glow in the dark HTV camp mugs. Iron on heat transfer vinyl (HTV) on metal mugs!? Yes! It works! And it’s washable! Glow in the dark HTV makes a really fun addition for camping and outdoor mugs.
In this project, I learned that not all glow in the dark HTV is created equally. I spent a considerable amount of time weeding a particularly difficult HTV and it didn’t adhere to the metal all. It was beyond frustrating. I wasn’t ready to give up though and my stubborn side was activated! I sourced a different brand of HTV and everything went smoothly. These mugs were on sale at my local King Soopers but I found some on Amazon that look identical. I’ll link all of my materials below and I hope it saves you from the frustration I experienced!
HTV Camp Mug Materials
- Metal camp mug ( This looks similar to what I found at King Soopers)
- Glow in the Dark HTV – Siser Easyweed
- Cutting machine – Cameo 4
- Circuit Easy Press Mini
1. Choose your design and mirror it in your software. Cut according to the recommended settings. I used Silhouette’s default for smooth HTV.
2. Preheat your mini press to the second (2 bars) setting. If you’re using a traditional iron or mug heat press, follow the HTV manufacturer’s heat setting instructions. Siser Easyweed HTV is about 305 F. Don’t use the highest setting on your easy press mini….the HTV may melt (personal experience).
3. Weed the excess vinyl from your design.
4. After weeding, you can use the sticky carrier sheet to position your design on the mug.
5. Move your iron over the design and hold in each area for about 15 sec. Due to the curvature, it’s a little tricky, but keep working cross the design to activate all of the adhesive. If the carrier sheet doesn’t peel off cleanly, press a little longer.
Aren’t these cute? It also makes it so easy to find your cup in the starlight. I hope you enjoyed this tutorial for glow in the dark HTV camp mugs!
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. By clicking on them and purchasing products through my links, I receive a small commission.